I missed the celebration of my favorite holiday this year. Groundhog Day. One of the lesser celebrated holidays. Sure, it has it's fame from the cute movie with Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell, but Groundhog Day is much more than that. By the way, Pat claims to have seen Andie at the airport once...
Anyways, my college housemates and I {shout out to the Lil' White Box}got in the habit of having a house dinner once a week. Now my good friends, being as dramatic and theatrical as I am, decided on making it a THEME dinner each week. We loved theme parties, so why not continue the fun each week? In the fateful year of 2007 house dinner landed on Groundhog day. We had a roast (somewhat resembling a groundhog), salad (what groundhogs eat), and bread? I can't remember what the other side was. But I was in charge of dessert. And that is when I got the idea for my famous cupcakes!
 |
| Isn't he cute? |
|
|
|
I pretended all dinner that celebrating Groundhog Day was a family tradition. Mom would bake delicious groundhog cupcakes. If the groundhog does not see its shadow, we get to enjoy the delicious treat. If the lil guy DOES see his shadow we have to wait 6 more weeks until the end of winter. Into the freezer they go! I'm sure no one believed me, but it was fun pretending! I half joke about doing this with my kids someday...
 |
| 2007- The beginning of the legacy. |
 |
| 2008- I bring the tradition to Minnesota! |
 |
| 2010- Not sure what happened 2009... |
 |
| 2011- But this year I was preggo and wanted to eat them all! |
Pat and I were out of town this year so I couldn't have my annual party. I'm sure you are dying in suspense, but Punzsutawney Phil did not see his shadow this year, so spring is scheduled to come early!
http://abcnews.go.com/US/groundhog-day-2013-punxsutawney-phil-sees-shadow-predicts/story?id=18382344 Happy Belated Groundhog Day!
The other side was baked potatoes, because a baked potato kinda looks likes a groundhog... :)
ReplyDeleteI made the cupcakes this year (as I have for several years, in honor of that wonderful dinner!) and every year I tell my coworkers about that "tradition" which they ALWAYS believe and are shocked that a mother could be so cruel. It's hilarious!
You say I'm nuts!!? Must run in the family.... ;)
ReplyDelete